Saturday, September 25, 2010

LitGraphics at the Michener

Google Alerts tells me that LitGraphics, a traveling museum exhibition of comic art including mine, opened today at the James A. Michener Museum in Doylestown, Pennsylvania. If you, like I, wonder what a museum named after Michener is doing in Pennsylvania, or indeed why it exists at all, the museum's website explains that it opened in 1988 and "was named for Doylestown's most famous son, the Pulitzer-Prize winning writer and supporter of the arts who had first dreamed of a regional art museum in the early 1960s." There you go.

This is the exhibition whose opening at the Norman Rockwell Museum in Massachusetts I attended in November 2007, and then followed to Ohio's Toledo Museum of Art in October 2009. It's worth seeing if you're nearby, notwithstanding my contribution. There's work by Will Eisner, Robert Crumb, Art Spiegelman, Peter Kuper, Harvey Kurtzman, Frank Miller, Steve Ditko, Jessica Abel, Terry Moore, and more. I loaned them eight pages of original art from Mom's Cancer that I figured would be more productive touring the country than sitting in a file under my desk.

My stuff at the Rockwell in Stockbridge . . .

. . . and at the TMA in Toledo. Both museums did a beautiful job of displaying everybody's work.

Both the Rockwell and Toledo museums set up their galleries to show videos of some of the artists (there's one playing in that picture immediately above) shot by videographer Jeremy Clowe and Rockwell curator Martin Mahoney, which I may as well take the excuse to show again. Martin and Jeremy actually flew across the country to interview me in my home. I'm ashamed to say that my rolltop desk, where I do my 'tooning, looks pretty much the same. I mean, some objects have literally not moved since 2007. I really should dust. Here's the video (apologies if you've already seen it once or thrice):



And here are Jeremy and Martin backed into a closet to shoot that video. It's not a large room.

It's a good show. If you're in the Doylestown neighborhood, or if you see LitGraphics coming to your neighborhood in months to come, check it out.

No comments: