Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Quotable Me

Just a quick note that I'm quoted in an article on Poynter.org today about NPR radio reporter Brooke Gladstone writing her first graphic novel, the forthcoming The Influencing Machine. The art for Gladstone's book was done by Josh Neufeld, whose book A.D.: New Orleans After the Deluge was very well received.

I've never heard of Gladstone, don't know Neufeld and haven't read their book, so why me? Beats me; all I know is that reporter Mallary Tenore found out about me when her editor gave her a copy of Mom's Cancer. Mallary contacted me a few days ago, e-mailed me three general questions plumbing my thoughts on graphic novels, and used my answer to one of them pretty much verbatim.

Poynter.org is the website of the Poynter Institute, a journalism school in Florida. As a one-time and still-sometimes journalist, getting mentioned in this piece was kind of a kick for me. It's also a nice little article about Gladstone and Neufeld's process, made a bit more interesting because Gladstone was new to comics and Neufeld had to guide her through it. Neufeld is braver than I; I wouldn't have taken the gig. I look forward to seeing the results of their work and hope it's a great success for them.
.

1 comment:

ronnie said...

Nice quote! And you even got a bouquet in there for Schulz, you shameless fan you.