Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Anticipating APE (AnticipAPEtion?)

The program and workshop schedule for San Francisco's Alternative Press Expo (APE) is now out, and lists me giving a workshop on "Designing Distinctive Characters" on Sunday, October 2 at 2 p.m., just as I said a couple of weeks ago. I like APE. It's a smallish, affordable con infused with an independent do-it-yourself spirit but put on by the people who do the big San Diego Comic-Con, so it's very professionally run.

Workshop organizer Andrew Farago told me 20 or so people typically show up for the workshops. That's a nice size. Out of curiosity, I checked the events program to see what else is happening Sunday afternoon and discovered that my workshop overlaps two spotlight panels featuring Webcartooning Sensation (and object of my secret cartoonist's crush) Kate Beaton and "Guy Whose New Book Habibi Will Win Every Award in Comics Plus Maybe a Super Bowl Ring" Craig Thompson.

This tells me three things: 1) APE attracts great guests. 2) I won't be able to see those guests because I'll be giving my workshop. 3) Nobody's coming to my workshop.

Ah well. I'll do my best for whoever shows. It's a challenge because I'd really like to make it as unlecturelike and hands-on as possible. I don't expect to have any AV support. Just me, an easel, and two or three upturned faces daring me to justify why they passed up Beaton and Thompson for me. I'm already having anxiety nightmares about it. Stop staring at me!

No comments: