Sunday, May 27, 2012

You'll Let Nobody Wait Outside Your Door

The Golden Gate Bridge is 75 years old this weekend. I live about an hour away, cross it all the time, and have yet to take it for granted once. I love that bridge. I can't believe humans built it. It's the purest expression of form following function I know, with just enough Art Deco styling to testify that it couldn't have been built anywhen else. Literally every time I drive across it, no matter what else is on my mind, just the fact that it exists lifts my spirits.

I've also noticed that our local landmark has taken an awful beating in movies over the years. Perhaps only the Empire State Building has suffered more (I hear they're still cleaning up after that giant ape). It's gotten to where, when Karen and I see a science fiction or superhero scene set in San Francisco, we place bets on how long it'll take them to gettting around to destroying the bridge. You haven't noticed? Your honor, I present Exhibit A:



Happy Birthday, Bridge. You never fail to impress.

2 comments:

Jim O'Kane said...

I'm sure people will recall the bridge fondly when we're all retired in Costa Del Lex, Luthorville, Marina del Lex, Otisburg...

Otisburg?

Marion said...

Hmm, I immediately thought of Magneto and the 3rd X-Men movie;but how nice to see a Harryhausen acknowledgment!