Thursday, January 31, 2013

Review: Air & Space Smithsonian

It's evidently Unexpected Review Week here at The Fies Files.

Whatever Happened to the World of Tomorrow just got a terrific review in the Air & Space Smithsonian magazine! I can't find the review online (let me know if you do) but reviewer Phil Scott says the book is "at times charming, at times sad and foreboding, and always thought-provoking."

The image below is a screen cap from a scan e-mailed to me by Publicist Amy, so the colors are off and its legibility may be dodgy. But it's a long review with lots of illustrations, so SCORE!



It goes without saying that folks who read a mag called Air & Space Smithsonian (circulation 192,000) are exactly the right audience for WHTTWOT. I couldn't have asked for a better review in a better place (well, maybe glowing praise from the Sunday New York Times, but that ain't happening). Phil Scott and the Smithsonian made my week.

6 comments:

Sherwood Harrington said...

Very nice, indeed. Short, but to the point, and I like the offhand way Scott accepts the time-flow thing instead of stumbling or fawning over it. Congrats again, Brian!

John Taber said...

Nice! Congrats! :D What issue number has the review?

Brian Fies said...

Don't know for sure! I only assume the latest, dated March 2013. But could be January 2013 (doesn't look like there's a February issue).

ronnie said...

Very nice review. Congrats!

Hal Bryan said...

Great to see this, Brian, congratulations! Not sure how I missed it, but I just came across it after reading your latest post about giving up - good stuff, as always.

I don't see the review online - A&S posts a lot of the magazine content, but not everything...

By happy coincidence, a great friend of mine has an article in the same issue:

http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/Kings-of-the-Air-187891111.html

Paul is someone you should meet sometime - I don't know exactly what would happen if you two were to collaborate, but it would be fascinating and I'd buy it immediately.

Brian Fies said...

Thanks everyone and thanks, Hal. Good article!

I bought myself a hardcopy and confirmed the review is in the new March 2013 issue. Looks very good!