Monday, May 25, 2015

A Fair Plate

Readers of Whatever Happen to the World of Tomorrow may recall that I began the book with the 1939 New York World's Fair, which (I argued) first presented a common vision of a technologically sophisticated future to millions of people. So Karen and I were shopping at an antiques store today when she asked, "What year was your fair?"

"1939," I replied.

"Oh . . . this has the pyramid and the sphere on it, but it says 1940."

"Hold on."



She'd found this beautiful plate from the fair highlighting the event's signature Trylon (tall pyramid) and Perisphere (sphere), and five of its great show buildings. Though the fair began in 1939 it ran until 1940. The plate's back has a sticker saying it was made to commemorate the 150th anniversary of George Washington's inauguration, which was one of the Fair's big themes.

Look at those colors! That Art Deco styling! It's a gem.

eBay tells me I got a really good deal on it. It'll go on my wall and always remind me of three things I love: the 1939-40 New York World's Fair, my graphic novel, and my sharp-eyed wife.


No comments: